Consider these vegan cookies like the classic oatmeal raisin cookie but with a health upgrade!
These are my go-to cookie! They’re flavorful and rich with just enough sweet to satisfy those cookie cravings! They also happen to be gluten-free, oil-free and plant-based! They won’t last long on your counter! I suggest making a double batch!
What’s the secret? Tahini!
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. It has a creamy texture and slightly nutty, but very distinct, flavor. Tahini isn’t absolutely necessary for preparing vegan meals but it can certainly elevate an ok recipe to outstanding!
I consider tahini a plant-based pantry staple! Try it in this Oil-Free Classic Hummus, Brown Rice and Veggie Stuffed Squash or Tahini Tossed Brussel Sprouts. I also suggest mixing 1-2 tablespoons in soup, spreading it on whole grain toast with a sprinkle of Himalayan salt or adding it to your next chocolate smoothie for a more complex flavor!
Makes 10-12 cookies
½ cup well-stirred tahini
¼ cup coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt
1 cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats (or regular is gluten isn’t an issue)
¼ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the tahini, coconut sugar, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt to a medium-sized glass bowl. Using a spoon or small spatula, mix these ingredients together until well blended, i.e. creaming.
- Add the oats and raisins and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon scoop out the batter, roll it into a ball and flatten using your hands until the cookie is about ½ inch thick. Lay on the parchment and repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!
These cookies are delicious and nutritious! They provide some nice protein content from the tahini, but you’ve got to fuel your body throughout the day with some substance! For some hearty, protein-packed meal options, download our FREE Plant-Based Guide For Gainz: