This soup is as bright in flavour as it is colour! Made with whole foods and blended until creamy, it’s perfect for lunch or an appetizer! We also use frozen peas here to keep the recipe convenient and affordable!
Green peas are a great source of plant-based protein and fibre! They’re a part of the legume family although we often treat them like a vegetable! Their bright green colour is an indication of some good-for-you phytonutrients they provide!
Potatoes make this soup creamy and thick and we leave the skins on (yes on!) to get that extra bump in fibre and nutrients! If you have extra potatoes on hand, you can also try this easy vegan Leek & Potato Soup!
Lemony Green Pea Soup
3½ cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
1 yellow onion, small diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup chopped potato (~5-6 baby potatoes or 1 medium potato)
¾ teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
4 cups water or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Optional garnished: Tahini Dill Sauce, hemp seeds, additional green peas
- If using frozen green peas, start at step #2. If using fresh green peas, blanch and shock them before starting the recipe. This maintains the bright green colour. Blanch and shock method: Bring a medium-large pot of water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice and water. Add the green peas to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes then remove using a slotted spoon or small mesh strainer and place in the ice water. Let sit in the water for 5 minutes then drain and set aside. Empty the pot of water. In a medium soup pot (same one used in step 1 for blanching and shocking) sauté the onion in 3 tablespoons of water for 5 minutes, adding water as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the garlic and potato and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes, again adding water to prevent burning.
Add the salt and water or broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the green peas and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. You don’t want to overcook them, this will run the risk of losing that beautiful bright green colour!
- Remove the soup from the heat and carefully transfer the soup to a blender. Add the lemon juice to the blender as well and blend on high until smooth. Do this in batches if you’re working with a smaller blender. In order to prevent steam burns, hold a dry dishcloth on top of the blender, cover and start blending on low and gradually increase to high. Remember to not overfill your blender! Keep it no more than 2/3 full.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot. Add the remaining ½ cup of green peas and warm on low for another 2-3 minutes. Taste and reseason if necessary. Divide among bowls and garnish as you wish! Enjoy!
This soup can be enjoyed on its own or as the perfect starter for your full meal. Why not throw some protein into the mix? For some hearty options, download our FREE Plant-Based Guide For Gainz: