- 12 to 16 ounces shelled edamame, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup, packed, roughly chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 5 shakes of Tabasco (less or more to taste)
- 3 drops of dark sesame oil (more to taste)
1 Bring 2 quarts of well salted water (2 Tbsp salt) to a boil. Add the shelled edamame. Return to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until cooked through and tender. Drain with cold water.
2 Place drained cooked edamame in a food processor. Pulse several times. Add the chopped cilantro. Pulse again. Add the remaining ingredients, and pulse until well puréed. Add more water if you want a smoother consistency. Adjust seasonings (salt, Tabasco, lime, sesame oil).
Serve with pita, chips, crostini, or crudités.
If you want to make pita chips, cut pita bread into triangles, and cook in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.