- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 recipe Fresh Tomato Salsa Dressing (recipe follows) OR your choice fresh salsa
- 4 ounces low-fat baked tortilla chips (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4 servings Guacamame (about 1 cup, recipe follows) OR a packaged guacamole hummus
Tomato salad dressing
- 1 pound tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Chop the tomatoes finely, and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and use your hands to mush everything up really well. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Chill in an airtight container until ready to use, up to 5 days.
- 4 ounces sliced avocado
- 1 cup frozen edamame, completely thawed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne, for spiciness (optional)
- Place the avocado and edamame in a food processor. Pulse until everything is well chopped.
- Add the water, salt, and lime juice, and puree until relatively smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula.
- Add the tomato, red onion, cilantro, and cayenne (if using), and pulse to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl, taste, and adjust flavors, if necessary. Serve ASAP.
Per Serving (1/4 cup): 60 calories, 4g fat, 5g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g protein
Note: To keep Guacamame from browning, throw the avocado pit into the ‘mame, drizzle with extra lime juice, and place a piece of plastic wrap right on the surface of the mixture. Cover tightly, and refrigerate.
- Divide the salad among four big bowls.
- First, place the lettuce in each bowl, then layer on the black beans and salsa.
- Crumble on the tortilla chips, and top with cilantro, if using. Serve with Guacamame on the side.
Incoming search terms:
- vegan quinoa taco salad