I personally love burrito bowls. They’re simple, they’re perfectly balanced, and they’re healthy – and anything salsa and avocado is automatically deliciously amazing! Not only that, they’re extremely filling, meaning you’re not reaching for unhealthy snacks right before your next meal.
At the beginning of the week if I have a burrito bowl on the menu (and am doing meal prep), I set aside large quantities of all the ingredients that I can and then divide everything up into plastic containers for lunches to go! It also makes for the perfect meal to pack up and save for later in case you’re in a pinch. Here’s one of my go-to recipes:
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 13 minutes
Creamy Avocado Sauce:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 19 oz. red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 orange pepper cut into cubes
- ¾ cup salsa
- ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a blender, blend all avocado sauce ingredients into a smooth sauce.
- Cook the rice as per the directions on the package
- Wash and cut the pepper and the onion
- Over medium high heat, sauté the peppers and onion with the sauce for 5 minutes
- Add the corn and cook for another 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the brown rice and avocado sauce, mix them together well
- Add the red beans, onions, pepper and corn. Garnish with salsa and vegan cheddar cheese, and serve!