Homemade Tomato Sauce
1 to 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
1/3 cup diced white onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 vine-ripened tomatoes
1/3 cup red wine
2 jars organic low-sodium tomato paste
1/2 to 1 red bell pepper, diced
2 medium zucchini, peeled
1 portabella, chopped
1/3 cup basil, chopped
Paprika, cayenne, and oregano, to taste
Daiya cheese or nutritional yeast, to taste
1 box of pasta of your choice like quinoa, mung bean or brown rice pasta
Or just zucchini, sliced into ribbons
1. In a large pan, heat oil. Add a little water, onion, garlic, and spices, and sauté until just tender.
2. Rinse and chop tomatoes and add to pan. Pour in red wine. Cover and let simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until tomatoes start to reduce.
3. Once tomatoes have reduced, add tomato paste, stirring frequently.
Add veggies, such as bell pepper, portabella, and zucchini and continue cooking. Reduce heat to low and add basil.
4. Boil water for pasta or simply toss sauce and serve with veggies. The zucchini will act as noodles. Top with nutritional yeast or Daiya cheese!
Incoming search terms:
- plant based pasta sauce
- oil based pasta
- Olive Oil Based Sauces
- spaghetti with diced tomatoes