- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-5 dashes hot sauce (I use Tabasco), to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- brown rice, to serve
1. Heat oil over medium heat and add eggplant, fresh tomatoes, onion, pepper, garlic. Cook 10 minutes.
2. Add canned tomatoes, water, oregano, thyme, pepper, cayenne, salt, and cook for 25 minutes.
3. Stir in peas and hot sauce. Remove from heat let stand 10 minutes. Serve over brown rice.
Serves: 4-6, Preparation time: 1 hr.